12-Year-Old Boy Dies “After Playing Choking Game”

A 12-year-old boy has died after reportedly playing a “choking game” made popular on social media.karnelKarnel Haughton is believed to have lost consciousness and suffocated while playing the “game”. He was found by his mother Gemma at about 9.45pm on Wednesday and later died in hospital.

While police are treating his death as “unexplained”, his family has issued a warning about the potentially lethal online trend. Pupils at the boy’s school, Greenwood Academy in Birmingham, will receive specialist support. Principal Harry French said staff and pupils at the school are “devastated”.

He said: “For all the children out there that know it as the choking game please be aware of the consequences. Karnel was the most beautiful boy anybody would come across, popular, confident and a cheeky little lad.”

A West Midlands Police spokesman said: “Police were called by the ambulance service to an address just off Farnborough Road in Castle Vale at around 9.45pm on Wednesday 1 June following reports that a child had collapsed. The 12-year-old was taken to hospital but despite their best efforts the boy died later that day.”