An eight-month-old baby survived a house fire thanks to an act of selfless heroism by the family dog.Viviana Poremski was trapped on the second floor of her Baltimore home on Sunday when a fire broke out. As the fire spread, the family dog Polo laid on top of the infant to shield her from the flames. The baby was revived by firefighters but Polo perished in the blaze, WBALTV reports.
The baby’s mother Erika had stepped out to her car when she turned around to find the house on fire. She was burned on her hands and face in a desperate struggle to reach her daughter. “I just heard her crying and I couldn’t get to her … They were kicking the doors in and kicking the windows out. I couldn’t (get her out). Nobody could.”
Firefighters said when they entered the home, they found Polo covering Viviana with his body. “She only had burns on her side because of it,” Ms Poremski said. “He stayed with her the whole time in the bedroom and wouldn’t even come downstairs to get out the door.”
Viviana suffered severe burns to her face, arm and side. She is currently in a serious condition in an intensive care unit. Polo died at the scene. “He was my first baby and now I lost him,” Ms Poremski said. “And I’m just praying I don’t lose her. She’s all I have and it just happened so fast, I just don’t understand it.”