Horror as woman on glamping holiday suffers burns and ends up in intensive care

A young woman is in critical care after being pulled from a ‘glamping pod’ that caught fire while she was inside.

Lydia Wadsworth suffered burns to her right arm and a ‘severely’ damaged respiratory system.

She is unable to speak after a ventilation box was fitted, her mum says.

The 20-year-old had been ‘glamping’ with her boyfriend Rob McDonnell, 24, when they became trapped by flames in the £100-a-night pod.

The pair were rescued by witnesses before fire crews arrived at the scene and extinguished the blaze which was believed to have started accidentally.

Lydia, from Wigan, Greater Manchester, was rushed to Whiston Hospital in Prescot, Merseyside, where she remains in critical care.

A male was also taken to hospital with smoke inhalation and his condition remains unknown.

The blaze broke out at the Lady Heyes Caravan and Camping Site in Frodsham, Cheshire, on Saturday.

A message on Lydia’s behalf was posted by family on her Facebook page.

It read: “Just to let you all know Lydia is currently be nursed in Critical Care at Whiston Hospital following being trapped in a fire in a Glamping Pod.

“She can’t speak as she has a ventilation pipe which blocks her voice box, however she has written to ask if we’d write a message to her friends and family thanking them for their kind wishes at such a difficult time.

“She has 7% burns to her right arm and severe damage to her respiratory system but is making positive progress which is what we are trying to focus on.

“The nursing team here are outstanding and we cannot praise them enough for their efforts since she’s been admitted.

“Thanks again for all your well wishes, both ourselves and Lydia really appreciate them. Love Lydia and family xXx