Little Boy “May Never Speak Again” After Drinking Drain Cleaner In Supermarket

1biyA mum fears her son may never speak again after he swallowed drain cleaner in a supermarket. Saira has now launched legal action against the manufacturer, Active Brand Concepts Limited, and the owners of the Claremont Road shop SAFA Superstore, where the incident happened.

Ayman was just two-and-a-half years old when his mum Saira says he picked up the bottle from a shelf at SAFA Superstore, in Moss Side. The youngster drank the liquid, which contained caustic soda, while his mum’s back was turned. The toxic substance caused severe burns to his mouth, airway, oesophagus and stomach and left him fighting for his life in intensive care.

Ayman was rushed to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital where he spent a month in intensive care. He spent another five months on a general ward where doctors inserted a permanent tracheostomy tube into his neck so he can breathe. He also has a feeding tube in his stomach to enable him to eat.