Saudi Arabia to change law to allow women to drive

Women in Saudi Arabia will soon have the right to drive, according to a royal decree issued by the country’s King Salman.

The kingdom has long been the only state in the world where women are prohibited from driving, and the longstanding ban has been the subject of extensive protests in and outside the country.

In the royal decree issued on Tuesday, King Salman ordered that a ministerial body would be formed to advise on the change within the next 30 days.

They are scheduled to implement the new rules by June 2018.

Saudi women have been fighting for the right to drive since the 1990s, in a long-running campaign that saw some illegally taking the wheel, sometimes being arrested and jailed for doing so.

“This could be described as a turning point in the position of women in Saudi Arabia, which is a society considered by many as a closed society and a traditionalist one,” Sky correspondent Abdelrahim El-Farsi said.

The decree referred to the “negative consequences of not allowing women to drive the vehicle and the positive aspects of allowing it”.

It added that the “majority” of senior scholars viewed allowing women to drive as legitimate.

Upset for future king Prince George of Cambridge

Prince William has admitted that his son George is fed up with school already and does not want to go anymore.

The four-year-old seemed raring to go when he started in reception at Thomas’ Battersea earlier this month.

But the novelty appears to have worn off already, with Prince William revealing how George would much prefer to be at home with mum Kate.

The Duke of Cambridge reportedly made the admission to a fellow parent on a trip to Milton Keynes.

According to The Mirror, he said: “I just dropped George off and he didn’t want to go.”

Mum-of-two Louse Smith, 31, was chatting to the Duke as he stopped to say hello to her two daughters.

She said: “It was really exciting meeting William. He told me he’d just dropped Prince George off at school and he didn’t want to go.”

Meanwhile Kate, 35, continues to battle morning sickness while the world waits for the arrival of the couple’s third baby.

Judy Finnigan reveals dramatic weight loss while out shopping with husband Richard

The former This Morning presenter, 69, was enjoying a day out in London with Richard, 61, when she turned heads with her noticeably slender frame.

Keen to show off her new physique, Judy wore an on-trend floral embroidered top with fitted leggings and trainers for a smart/casual look.

Meanwhile Richard looked very much the silver fox, pairing a tight white tee with faded jeans and trainers and big aviator-style shades.

Speaking to The Sun, an onlooker commented: “Judy looked fantastic, really healthy.

“It looks as if she’s lost a couple of stone and updated her wardrobe. Good for her.”

According to the paper, the daytime power couple were treating themselves to two bottles of wine from Tesco.

Father faces life alone with his baby son after wife gets devastating diagnosis

A dad is facing a heartbreaking goodbye with his wife as she battles 14 brain tumours less than a year after giving birth to their first child.

Taxi driver Neil Potts met his wife Ebru two years ago when she was a passenger in his cab and he says it was love at first sight.

The pair got married last year and were overjoyed to learn they were expecting their first child.

But, just five months into the pregnancy, they were devastated when doctors told them Ebru had cervical cancer .

The call centre worker underwent chemotherapy while pregnant, and baby Kaiden was born two months early when doctors decided it would be safe to deliver him via c-section.

Ebru continued her cancer treatment and in January was told it had gone. But, just two months later, she began experiencing back pain, and scans showed that the 34-year-old now had 14 tumours in her brain.

The family say they are “devastated beyond belief” after learning that Ebru’s tumours are starting to haemorrhage, and there is nothing more doctors can do for her.

Devoted husband Neil, 33, from from North Shields, has spoken of his agony at watching his wife in the final stages of her fight, and facing life as a single dad.

Labour MP Emma Dent Coad attacks The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s MP has reportedly said she thinks the royal couple are ‘ridiculous’ and thinks public funding should be scrapped.

Emma Dent Coad, who received plaudits for the way she handled the Grenfell crisis, poured scorn on her two constituents and the Royal Family at a pro-republican fringe event at the Labour conference last night.

Speaking at the Reigning in the Monarchy talk, the Kensington MP told those present that she felt the royals should not be funded by the taxpayer.

The royal family is funded through a combination of private and public funding, including the Sovereign Grant which comes from the treasury.

According to Sky News’ Aubrey Allegretti, Dent Coad said: ‘Their MP thinks the system is ridiculous.

‘We should not be funding them.’

She also reportedly attacked Kate for buying jumpers at an estimated cost of £150 each, likening it to a ‘food bill for a family of four’.

During her broadside, she also turned on the BBC, calling its coverage ‘sickeningly gratuitous’ and accused it of being ‘directed by right-wing politics and the monarchy’.

Female police officer kidnapped while trying to arrest a man outside ASDA

A female police officer was attacked and then kidnapped by a man after she tried to arrest him.

The officer, who was not in uniform at the time, was with a colleague when they approached the man in Ashton-under-Lyne last Tuesday evening.

The man had just had a row with two security staff at Asda and the officers had tried to stop him from running away.

But he managed to fight them both off while getting into a silver car.

During the struggle, the female officer was dragged into the vehicle and kidnapped for around five minutes as he sped off towards Cavendish Street.

Luckily, she managed to escape when the car came to a stop at the junction with Wharf Street.

Police have now released a CCTV image of a man they wish to speak to in connection with the attack which happened just before 7.25pm on September 19.

The attacker is described as black, aged around 30, around 6ft tall and of slim athletic build.

Live missiles to be fired from Scotland and shot down by warships in military excercise

The excercise named ‘Formidable Shield’ brings armed forces from eight countries together in the Outer Hebrides.

An international missile defence exercise is under way in Scotland as the row between the United States and North Korea intensifies.

The US-led operation got under way in the Outer Hebrides this week and will last for a month.

Formidable Shield brings together armed forces from eight countries and involves 13 ships.

They will work together to shoot down live missiles fired from the Hebrides Range.

Defence secretary Sir Michael Fallon said escalating tensions with North Korea made the exercise – which has been planned for several months – even more important.

“North Korean tests have shown the danger of rogue states developing longer range missiles,” he said.

“By hosting this cutting-edge exercise in anti-missile defence with allied navies Britain is at the forefront of developing a more effective response to this growing threat.”

Brit teenager left with 1 inch wound after being bitten by spider in her home

WARNING: Graphic images. Courtney Thompson said the wound  which was leaking pus was so vile that it made her sick.

An teen was left with a gruesome 2cm deep wound after being bitten by a spider in her home.

Courtney Thompson said the injury was so vile it left her feeling ‘sick’, as it leaked pus each time she changed her dressing.

The 19-year-old said she discovered a spider in her room in Crawley, Sussex, and called her mum in fear, however the eight-legged terror got away.

Three weeks later, the tiny bite had developed into a deep wound so Courtney visited the doctors who advised her to rush to A&E where it was confirmed it was a spider bite.

Devastating news for Tony Blair’s wife Cherie

Tony Booth, the Till Death Us Do Part actor and father of Cherie Blair, has died aged 85.

The political campaigner, who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2004 and had also suffered heart problems, passed away on Monday night.

Booth had a 50-year acting career and appeared in television shows including Coronation Street, EastEnders, Emmerdale and The Bill.

He was also a political activist as well as father to Cherie Blair QC and father-in-law to former Prime Minister Tony Blair.

But decades before, he was better known to television viewers as “Scouse git” Mike, the long-haired left-wing son-in-law of right-wing cockney Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part.

Booth’s character in the hugely popular sitcom reflected his own left-wing political beliefs.

When his son-in-law Mr Blair became Prime Minister in 1997, his political views proved to be an occasional thorn in the Labour leader’s side.

BREAKING: Explosion On London Underground Train – Tower Hill Station Evacuated

Police have evacuated Tower Hill tube station amid reports of an explosion in a train carriage. Witness, Murtaza Ali Shah, tweeted that terrified passengers fled the station in a stampede. He posted: “Tower Hill Station closed after a small scale explosion in a bag, passengers fled in panic, injuries in stampede.”

Another witness, Daniel Griggs, added: “Blimey, someone’s battery charger just caught fire next to me on the tube at Tower Hill. That gets the adrenaline going. Everyone’s safe!”

A spokesman for British Transport Police said BTP were called just before 12.30pm. The force said the incident was “not suspicious,” adding that the fire is thought to have been caused by a mobile phone charger overheating and causing a small fire.